JUNE 27, 2023.
The 2023 Annual General Meeting and Scientific Conference of the Ghana College of Pharmacists (GCP) took place in Accra on June 27, 2023. It was held under the theme “Building Resilience into the delivery of Pharmaceutical Services”.
The Thematic Speaker was Prof Frances Owusu-Daaku, Department of Pharmacy Practice, Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, KNUST and Fellow of the Ghana College of Pharmacists.
The Minister of Health, Hon. Kwaku Agyeman-Manu was ably represented by Hon. Tina Gifty Naa Ayeley Mensah, Deputy Minister for Health as the Guest of Honour.
Twelve (12) elected fellows and thirteen (13) members were inducted into the College.
Fourteen (14) out of nineteen (19) scientific abstracts were displayed as posters whiles five (5) were orally presented.
After extensive discussion of the theme and other papers and reports presented during the meeting, participants;
Recalling the challenges experienced by pharmacists as a result of the stresses and strains placed on the delivery of pharmaceutical care during the COVI-19 pandemic;
Taking cognizance of the crucial role specialist pharmacists play in the attainment of Universal Health Coverage and the need to put in measures to enable them tackle everyday challenges and build resilience;
Being mindful of the importance of acquisition of soft skills as well as the cultivation of absorptive, adaptive and transformative strategies to enable the pharmaceutical sector bounce back in the face of challenges;
Noting the need to for collaboration between the College and other Health Agencies within and outside the country;
Noting also, the critical role drug production and quality assurance play in the pharmaceutical value chain;
Noting further the challenges of the College including, inadequate funds and lack of resources to enable effective functioning of the secretariat;
Recommended the following:
- To engage with the Pharmacy Council on the involvement of the Ghana College of Pharmacists when applications for promotion to consultant and specialist pharmacist levels are brought before them.
- To collaborate with institutions outside for residency training and internships
- To incorporate practical components into all CPDs
- To apply for research grants from some institutions.
- To send out quarterly reminders to members and fellows to settle dues.
- To come up with a promotional plan for the College, especially the Division of Public Health and Social and Administrative Pharmacy
Participants further resolved:
To engage the vehicle assembly plant for partnership in our monitoring and accreditation activities through the acquisition of an official vehicle.