In accordance with Act 833 Section 85(b), where the College is to promote Continuous Professional Development (CPD) in pharmacy and related disciplines, the Ghana College of Pharmacists organized its first Continuous Professional Development (CPD) programme Report On The 2day Continuous Professional Development (Cpd) Programme on the 26th – 27th April 2016 at the Christ The King Hall.
The advertisement for the programme was placed in the 21st April, 2016 edition of the Daily Graphic, the website of the Ghana Pharmaceutical Society of Ghana and WhatsApp. It received a lot of attention considering the short notice. Participants were drawn from the youngest (registered as a pharmacist two years ago) to the supervisor of one of the facilitators when he was student.
At the end of the two day lectures, fifty (50) participants attended the programme from across the country.
On the provided agenda, three (3) facilitators; Prof. Eric Woode, Dr. Charles Anane, and Mr. Benjamin Botwe were scheduled to make presentations on various topics.
The environment was conducive for learning and the hall was well-equipped which promoted effective learning.
The approach adopted for the lectures included the following:
- Participatory approach by both facilitators and participants.
- Facilitation and PowerPoint presentations.
- Experience sharing, lessons learnt and solutions to identification of problems in line of duty and examples
REASONS FOR ATTENDING:
- To acquire knowledge on the topic for presentation
- To enhance performance in community practice
- To know more about the College and prepare for the next Primaries
- Gain credit for annual licensure by the Pharmacy Council
The mode of delivery for the lectures was through PowerPoint presentations.
Excellent delivery by seasoned facilitators through practical experiences and examples case studies demonstrations and teasers.
- Conducive environment for learning
- Well-equipped facilities promoting effective learning
- Manuals were provided for easy facilitation
RECOMMENDATION FROM PARTICIPANTS
- Participants suggested that the following topics should be addressed in subsequent lectures:
- Cardio vascular diseases
- Sickle cell
- Current trends in management of communicable diseases
- Abuse of antibiotics
- Cancer medications
- Increase publicity in CPD through social media.
- CPDs should be organized on regional basis
- Presentations should be age targeted, this will ensure group participation
- CPDs should be organized regularly or at least on quarterly basis
We admit that the CPD programme was successful and every participant will help in the sharing of the knowledge acquired effectively as expected of them.
All participants will be awarded certificates for being a part of the maiden Continuous Professional Development programme of the Ghana College of Pharmacist.